Friday 16 November 2012

Lourensford half marathon coming up in two weeks

In two weeks from now, I'm scheduled to do my very first half marathon: the Vital Run half marathon in and around the beautiful Lourensford wine estate in Somerset West. So far the training has been good and I am nicely "on schedule".

The past two weeks have been good and bad. Good because I spent a great week diving, kite surfing, swimming and running in Egypt with my brother. Bad because the week thereafter, I ate way too many biscuits and desserts during a 4-day workshop in London. Why was I able to stay away from all the amazing cakes at the dessert buffet in Egypt and did I stuff myself with rather tasteless biscuits in London? The answer, in my case, is stress and sleep. In Egypt, all we had to worry about is to get to the kite shop around 9am, and get the boat back at 3pm. In London, I had back-to-back meetings, dozens of e-mails to read and write, and a ton of small and big deadlines to stay on top off.

Now that I'm back in Cape Town with 2 weeks to go for the half marathon, my goal is to refind myself a bit, set daily realistic goals for work and training, and force myself to go to bed no later than 10.30pm so that I can break the cycle of fatigue, unproductive working hours, and overcompensation with carbs and late-night work.

No comments:

Post a Comment